Hey there, it's Saturday morning here in Costa Rica experiencing a beautiful sunny 70 degree day with a great cup of coffee. Spent a couple hours in the shop working on a project for a fellow missionary here in Cost Rica, I'll post some pictures when I am finished. I just wanted to say again to anyone who stumbles upon this blog to please leave a comment. I know there is not much now for content but hopefully we'll have more in the coming weeks. As I said the original point of this blog was to take you with me as I build a Maloof inspired rocker with only hand tools. While I am waiting for a few hand tools to arrive in Costa Rica so I can get started I thought I would show you some projects I have already built. Along with that I will be building a "traditional English shaving horse" using the plans from Leevalley to help in the building of the rocker. The photos I have posted today are of a project I did for a family from our church. This was my first project completely unplugged project and I have to say I thouroghly enjoyed the journey. Here in Costa Rica they don't built traditional kitchen cabinets but instead build the sides with cinder block and pour a concrete slab for the top, then they tile it all and add a wood face.frame with drawers and doors. The wood I used is a comon wood used here in CR, we call it Guanacaste for the region it is harvested from but the Nortamerican name is Elephant Ear. It is a beautifully grained wood that can be difficult at times planing, but in the end was worth all the effort. Thanks again for your your comments and input and please keep visiting the blog..
Take care and God bless
Mark Hynek
That wood looks incredible! And nice wide planks-
ReplyDeletePerhaps a cousin to Mahogany ... ?