Translate

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Building my workbench and other items.

Buenas diás from Costa Rica

It is another sunny 70 degree day here in CR. The rain has really tapered off and so I think it is safe to say we are now in dry season or summer, as the Costaricans would say. I wasn't able to get back to the blog for the last week for various reasons, but I guess that doesn't really matter as no one is really reading this blog. Of course there are so many blogs and You Tube channels that I guess you really have to find a nitch to get noticed. Oh well, I will keep writing and building and see where it goes.

I wanted to show you all a small version of the conversion of my shop to a hand-tool only shop which is mainly the building of my version of the Roubo workbench built by Chris Schwarz. I built it out of a wood called Melina, which is produced here in CR. I bought 4 x 8 3/4 sheets of it and ripped it into strips of 3" for the stretchers, 4" for the top and 5" for the legs. I think it turned out well and I really like it. I didn't have a tail vise or screw for the leg vise but had two faces vises from my previous work bench. So I installed the face vise, which racked horribly but served it's purpose. I then used the other face vice and came up with my own version of a wagon vise. I did a reverse with the plate that is usually mounted underneath the top and the face jaw. I mounted the face jaw where it wouldn't move and let the plate float underneath. It's not pretty but it works great. One day I was trying to figure out how to use the other face vise as a tail screw for the leg vise. I didn't want to take it apart or cut any metal, but one day I was ruff cutting some wood on my sawyers bench when I look at my vise with my head cocked to one side. Suddenly the lights went off and I realized I could turn the face vise sideways, take out the supporting bars and mount the guide plate behind the leg. Again it isn't pretty but works great. Originally I used a piece of 1 1/4 thick wood for the vise but that bent horribly in the center so I laminated another piece to it which thickened it up and works great now. You can see in one photo the make shift bench I built on my table saw which I used to plane wood but was horrible as the table would move and I ended up chasing the table around the shop.





The other photo is of the project I am currently working on  for a fellow missionary in San Jose. He has a place out on the western side of CR near Dominical, a famous beach for surfers. He has a small bathroom and in one corner wants a small vanity top for his sink. He wanted it to be a floating top with a butcher block look. So here is what I came up with. This was my second completely unplugged project. He also want a shower floor built which I am currently working on designing.

On the subject of the rocking chair you can see Christmas came early with the arrival of some tools and products I have been waiting for. I got the hide glue which I am looking forward to working with. I also got a pound of shellac flakes, I am currently searching for pure alcohol here in CR, I think I might be able to get it at the pharmacy. Most people will say use denatured alcohol, one, they don't have it here in CR, and two, I was watching a YouTube video on guitar making, weeping Z guitars, where the guy had a video on french polish. He made the statement that he didn't like the poisons they put in denatured alcohol to make it undrinkable and preferred to work with a more pure safer product. He was using 95% alcohol. Another guitar builder on YouTube, Obrien guitars used Everclear which is 95% alochol with out the dangerous poisons. I also got some pumice for filling the grain, a scorp, drawknife, and some leather with some green sharpening compound to make a strop for the scorp. I am still waiting on one more package which should arrive next week with some items I need for working on the seat of the rocker. Hopefully next week I can pick up some wood if the funds permit it. Well, my friends take care and let me know what you think.

God Bless
Mark







1 comment:

  1. thanks Mark- good tips on the alcohol for shellac. I'm always on the hunt for new products to mix. all the best

    ReplyDelete