Translate

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Hello from between the buses in Indianapolis. So day three brings more work on the seat blanks before they can be glued up.


Here you can see the pattern I use to mark out the seat as well as the spindle locations. Once it is marked you just flip it over and trace the other side, then you have a rough idea of the seat you will be carving out. On Charles Brock's video as well as with Sam Maloof they cut out a good portion of the material to be removed on the band saw. You can only do this on the # 2, 3, and 4 blanks. Since this is an unplugged project I opted to use a frame saw I built for that. 


Here you can see the pattern I made to get an idea of the profile I wanted to shoot for when cutting out the material. I started on the #3 blank. But since you will be putting a pommel at the front of the blank you cant cut the complete profile.The pommel stretches 6"back from the front of the seat and is at the absolute center of the seat.




Here you can see me beginning to cut out the waste with my frame saw. This was a little difficult and by the third blank my blade snapped. What I did on the first blank though was to cut a number of kerfs to ease in cutting out the material. I think next time I will just opt for cutting a bunch of kerfs and then chisel out the material. 




Here you can see blank #3 with the material removed.


Since you cant completely cut out the profile on the #3 blank you need to plane down the sides where the pommel will be. What that does is to enable you to trace the profile onto the sides of blanks # 2 & 4.




Here you  can see blank #3 next to blank #4 and how you can trace the profile onto it.


Once those profiles are cut out you can now glue up  your seat. Since this is a test run regarding building a Maloof rocker by hand and since I plan on paiting it, since I used poplar, I opted to use Titebond 2 glue. If I do do a walnut rocker I hope to use hide glue.


So here is the blank all glued up ready for some serious carving.


Well I hope you enjoyed this post. I look forward to posting more on this project. It doesn't look like much now but in the end hopefully it will be a nice looking rocker.

Well, take care my friends and as always God bless.

Mark Hynek

No comments:

Post a Comment