Enjoying another glorious day here in paradise, but I have to admit it has been rather hot here these last days. But I will still take this over below zero weather knee deep in snow anytime. Well these last few days have been a whirlwind a ministry activities to where I had forgotten exactly what progress I had made on the case in comparison to what I had posted. So in part 9 I dovetail the carcass which went well, but I have been having a lot a breaks along the groove for the back panel. near the pins.
So the next step was to make the drawer runners, the bottom of the upper section, and cut the grooves in the sides and back for each. Here you can see I got the drawer runner parts cut to width and re-sawed to 1/2". One thing I noticed on re-sawing is that my saw seems to handle well widths up to about 4 to 5 inches. Anything more and I tend to get a noticeable bow when cutting. I do like my frame saw though and will keep it for use on less wider material. Once the pieces were cut then I moved on to the sides and back to scribe and cut out the groove for the runners and bottom part of the upper section. What I did was assemble the carcass, put the bottom drawer to use as a reference to draw a line on the sides and back showing where the bottom of the runners should go. I then scribe a straight line on it using a straight edge and my marking knife.
I then put my router plane with the 1/2" cutter up against the line and used the cutters width to mark the top portion of the groove. And once again scribed a line in the wood. I really like my Stanely 71 1/2. I got it on ebay really cheap because it didn't have a cutter. I then bought a 1/2" cutter from Leevalley and it seems to work fine. I really love the writing on the router.
So I just started to slowly route out the material. As I got lower reaching the bottom of my scribe line I would just use a 1" chisel with only hand pressure and re-cut the scribe lines making it easier to remove the material.
So here is the finished grooves for the drawer runners. I really enjoy using the router plane, it is so peaceful.
On the side drawer runners I half lapped them on top of the front and back ones to give it some support.
Well my friends I hope you enjoyed this post. We are nearing the end of this project. Next up the front panel. Then prepare for glue up. I was able to purchase the hardware today so it will be here in the 7th of April. Once this project is finished I will move on to two more that have recently be requested of me to build. One is some kitchen cabinets for another church member and the other is a music stand for the guitar players in our church.
Take care my friends and as always God bless
Mark Hynek
No comments:
Post a Comment