Buenos dias from Costa Rica
Well it's another sunny day here but the temperature is rising to the mid 80's. Here in Sarchi that is hot for us. We are use to an average of 75 so when it goes up 10 degrees or down it feels like a drastic change to us.
Well, my friends I just wanted to let you know I didn't fall off the face of the earth. Things have just been pretty busy with my other work (pastoring a church) and in laws visiting us over the holidays. I haven't been able to get back to the shop for woodworking purposes since the Christmas fiasco of 2014. I have been in the shop, I just haven't been able to do any woodworking.
One update on drying wood here. The planks I bought for the Christmas presents that were to wet when they arrived, anywhere between 24-45% , have now stabilized at 11-12%. They reached that stage after about 3 weeks of just sitting, after I had done an initial rough cut and planning the surfaces. So now I know the time frame for working with wood here, during the dry season. I will have to try this during the rainy season as well to get an idea of how long the wood needs to sit before working it.
That being said I am still struggling with getting the motivation to return to the shop for the Christmas projects I hadn't finished. I want to get them done but can't seem to muster up the desire right now. I do, on the other hand, have the desire to start a new project as well as get started on the shaving horse, travisher, and rocking chair. On Tom Fidgen's membership website, anunpluggedlife.com, the members are participating in a group build, a simple hanging cabinet as the project. I so want to start that, but know if I do the other projects will get pushed back even further. Oh well, this is where priorities, past commitment, and overall promises must trump ones own wishes. Maybe we will get to it.
On a completely different note, it doesn't look like the new espresso machine will be making it's way down to C.R. What an experience I went through on that. My wife an I determined to buy an espresso machine for ourselves for Christmas. After pouring over countless reviews and youtube videos regarding what type we would like based on our budget, we finally came to a decision. My friend who is coming here mid January said he could bring it down, So we purchase an entry level Italian made machine. The first thing that went wrong was with the company we were buying it from charged us three times for the machine which caused us to be overdrawn. After talking with them and straightening it out it took a few days to refund us. I never understand how companies can take the money out right away, but when refunding it, it can take up to 30 days, go figure. Anyway, my bank worked with me on that and all was straightened out with the charges and any over draft fees. Now the really depressing part. I was tracking the package as it made it's way to my friends house in Las Vega, the package was coming from New York. I had been communicating with my friend about it, how he would have to check it as a piece of luggage because it wouldn't fit in his suitcase. He kept asking me if I was sure about that. I said ,"just wait until Monday the 13th when it arrives and you will see." He then wrote back, "Did I forget to tell you I am leaving for Panama that Monday morning and then coming to Costa Rica from Panama on the 17th?" He then said, "I don't think I will be at the house when the package arrives." I nearly passed out. After all the frustration from ordering the thing to now having to cancel it I was ready to die. I didn't blame my friend, he is retired and getting up there in years, but I did ask the Lord why in the world did you allow this to happen. Since I am a believer I am also a firm believer in the providence of God, that He is in complete control. So I know nothing about this passed by Him, all came about because of Him. I struggled to try to understand this but was unable to come to a firm answer. One thing I do know is that He has my best interest in mind, which may be to teach me something about patience and priorities, who know. Maybe one day I will find out and maybe not. Ultimately that is not important, what is important is that I trust His judgment completely and that is enough for me.
Sorry if I got a little to religious for you here, but that is who I am and I make no apologies for it. I also just wanted to give you an update on how things are going down here. Keep in touch and look for some future posts on finishing Christmas 2014 and the start of the rocking chair project.
Thanks again for reading the blog. All the best to you all and God bless.
Mark Hynek
No comments:
Post a Comment